If you care for someone who is dealing with fecal incontinence, you undoubtedly need a good basis of support to lean upon. The following tips can help you better deal with your role as a caretaker:
- Make sure that the patient wears loose clothing that’s easy to remove.
- Bring him or her to the doctor to explore all of the available treatment options.
- Bring him or her to the restroom regularly to decrease the chance of having an accident.
- Fit the furniture with washable slipcovers or cushions.
- Place a bedpan near his or her bed.
- Have the patient wear disposable underwear at night, and put washable pads on his or her bed.
Most importantly, talk to others who are going through what you are going through. There are a number of fecal incontinence message boards for you to visit.