- Don't buy foods or drinks with strong flavors or bright colors. This means that they probably contain coal tar, which is what those bright colors are extracted from. Coal tar has been proven to lead to cancer, according to the American Cancer Society.
- Don't buy meats that can be kept in the fridge for a long period of time. This means salami, bologna, and other processed meats. They contain sodium nitrate, which prevents bacteria from forming. However, sodium nitrate also leads to conditions that can cause cancer.
- Don't buy processed foods. 'Nuff said.
- Read the labels, and don't buy foods that have too many ingredients or ingredients that you are unfamiliar with. Stay away from food additives such as mono sodium glutamate or MSG.
- Purchase organic hormone-free meat, milk, and eggs. Close to 85% of all meats sold in the US contain hormone called diethylstilbestrol, which has been proven to cause breast cancer and cancer of the reproductive organs.
Are you ready to try out these five tips?
(Picture Credit: Lola Lollipop)